He’s done.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich’s campaign manager, senior strategists and key aides in early delegate-selection states all resigned on Thursday, a mass exodus that leaves his hopes of winning the Republican nomination in tatters.

Rick Tyler, Gingrich’s spokesman, said he, campaign manager Rob Johnson and senior strategists had resigned, along with aides in the early primary and caucus states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Other officials said Gingrich was informed that his entire high command was quitting in a meeting earlier in the day. They cited differences over the direction of the campaign but were not more specific.

The officials declined to be identified by name, saying they were not authorized to discuss private conversations. Gingrich told the group he intends to stay in the race, they added.

Update:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Newt Gingrich says he’s staying in the race for the Republican presidential nomination despite an unprecedented mass staff exodus.

In a posting to his Facebook page, the former House speaker says he will run the “substantive, solutions-oriented campaign” that he set out to run earlier this spring.

0 Shares