Via Daily Mail:
Students under siege at a Hong Kong university are trying to escape through the sewers amid fears that police will storm the campus and open fire, causing a Tiananmen Square-style massacre.
Dozens of activists at Hong Kong Polytechnic University wrapped their knees and arms in plastic on Tuesday as they prepared to try and crawl to freedom through a perilous maze of underground tunnels.
There are thought to be between 100 and 200 students left on campus, locked into the third day of a violent standoff with police who are trying to get inside and break up the pro-democracy demonstration.
Around 600 people surrendered overnight Monday, 200 of whom were children who were questioned and released, alongside 400 adults who were arrested and now face 10 years in jail accused of rioting.
Speaking Tuesday morning, city chief executive Carrie Lam said the only option for the remaining demonstrators was to lay down their weapons, surrender and face the legal consequences.
While Hong Kong police chiefs refused to say Tuesday what their next steps will be, commanders have previously said they are willing to resort to using live ammunition if the situation becomes ‘uncontrollable’.
That has led to fears of a repeat of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, when peaceful pro-democracy student protesters were shot dead by the Chinese army.