It’s clear from the judge’s comments that he didn’t know or understand the facts of the case, how Phillips lied and how the WaPo just published the lie without checking or even getting Sandmann’s account.
The $250 million lawsuit filed by Nick Sandmann against the Washington Post has been dismissed by a federal judge.
U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman, who heard oral arguments earlier this month, issued the ruling on Friday in the case that garnered national attention. Nick became embroiled in a divisive response to an encounter between him, his Covington Catholic High classmates and Native Americans on the National Mall.
The Washington Post, in a statement, said it was pleased by the dismissal.
“From our first story on this incident to our last, we sought to report fairly and accurately the facts that could be established from available evidence, the perspectives of all of the participants, and the comments of the responsible church and school officials,” The Post said through a spokesperson.
The Sandmann family plans to appeal Bertelsman’s ruling, according to a statement sent to The Enquirer by Nick’s attorneys, Todd McMurtry and L. Lin Wood.