The judge also called out #JussieSmollett’s lawyers for granting multiple media interviews discussing the case after it was sealed, saying that he blew his privacy argument in the process.
— Jason Meisner (@jmetr22b) May 23, 2019
Gotta love it. His attorneys blew their own effort to keep this all under wraps by playing this “he’s innocent” game in the media.
CHICAGO (WLS) — A judge ruled Thursday to unseal documents in the case of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett.
The records were sealed in March shortly after charges against Smollett were abruptly dropped by prosecutors. Attorneys representing the media, including ABC7, challenged the sealing of the records.
“Empire” actor and R&B singer Jussie Smollett told Chicago police last month that two men physically attacked him and yelled racial and homophobic slurs. There have been dozens of twists and turns since then. Here are some key moments from the start of this story.
As a result, nearly 300 pages of court filings were released by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office on Thursday.
“This is about transparency and rust in the sytem and we believe the public has a right to know what the government did here and why,” media attorney Natalie Spears said.
The judge said Smollett might be entitled to privacy and keeping the records sealed if he hadn’t given a nationally-televised interview about the incident on “Good Morning America.”