Took the police 20 minutes to respond.

Via NJ Com:

Two people were shot at Newport Centre mall on Friday night and two more were in custody in a possible act of gang-related violence, officials said.

The two victims were taken to Jersey City Medical Center with gunshot wounds to the abdomen and arm, Mayor Steve Fulop said during a press conference. They were in critical but stable condition. No “friendly person” was struck by gunfire, Police Chief Michael Kelly said.

Authorities did not confirm if one of the people in custody was the shooter. Police first received a report of a fight in the food court and then the shots were fired, Kelly said.

When asked if the shooting was gang-related Kelly said, “It’s a possibility.”

“We know some of the players here, we know some of the victims,” the chief said, “and we certainly think that they weren’t up to anything good.”

One of the victims, Jaleel Holmes, had an arrest warrant out over the last two days for a shooting at Grant Avenue in Jersey City, Fulop said. Authorities did not name the two people in custody or state if any charges were filed. […]

Scott Fallon, a reporter for and the USA TODAY Network New Jersey, had taken the day off and was at the mall with his wife, Dawn, and daughter, Emma, when the shooting happened around 6 p.m.

To celebrate Emma’s sixth birthday, the family had attended a screening of “A Dog’s Way Home.” They were in the movie theater, which shares space with the food court on the mall’s third level, when he heard gunfire.

“I heard a thump,” he said. “It may have been just one shot. I heard screaming and then an avalanche of people started running from the food court.”

Fallon had been on his way to the men’s room.

“I immediately turned and ran like hell back to where Dawn and Emma were,” he said. “I said, ‘There’s been a shooting.’ I grabbed Emma, held her in my arms and we ran through some exit doors into a hallway behind the theaters.”

They huddled there with a scared Swedish tourist named Ali who had become separated from his friends in the panic that erupted after the shooting, Fallon said. Fallon called the police and 911, and they waited for the authorities to arrive.

After about 20 minutes, he said, he heard footsteps and the sounds from police radios in a service stairwell off the hallway.

Keep reading…