sabrii

He has been reformed into a moderate.

Via Miami Herald

A federal parole board has cleared another Guantánamo “forever prisoner” — a 37-year-old Yemeni who the U.S. profiled as having met Osama bin Laden — for release from the detention center in southeast Cuba.

“I am against violence. I don’t have the least intention to spend any more time with other detainees,” Mashoor al Sabri told the board last month. Although a Yemeni citizen, he said he was born and raised in Saudi Arabia, and would like to return to family there, in Mecca, notably an ailing mother with high blood pressure.

The three-paragraph decision, obtained Friday by the Miami Herald, said the board is recommending release “subject to appropriate security assurances” in consideration of Sabri’s “low level of training, renunciation of extremist ideology, and lack of a leadership position in al-Qaida or the Taliban.”

The Sabri release decision means that of Guantánamo’s 122 captives, 57 are now approved for transfer. The vast majority of them, as is Sabri, are Yemenis who are ineligible for repatriation because of the Arabian Gulf nation’s spiraling violence and powerful al-Qaida franchise. Ten other prisoners are in war-crimes proceedings, and another 55 are either candidates for war crimes trials or forever prisoners.[…]

The board recommending release noted that in his time at Guantánamo, Sabri had “generally compliant behavior” and had taken part in prison programs, by his account, nutrition, computer and health classes. He briefly made his plea for freedom March 3 in English, saying he had learned it at the prison.

Keep reading

10 Shares