Pres Obama and King Salman side-by-side at airport arrival ceremony for Pres Obama in Riyadh. Via Saudi TV. pic.twitter.com/AXNIHbg4PC
— Mark Knoller (@markknoller) January 27, 2015
But they’re the cool kids, so it’s all jake.
Saudi Arabia on Monday executed a man convicted of raping several girls in a case that has captured the kingdom’s attention and marks the first beheading carried out under the newly enthroned King Salman.
The Interior Ministry said Moussa al-Zahrani was executed in the city of Jiddah. The ministry statement, carried by the official Saudi Press Agency, said al-Zahrani was convicted of luring underage girls, intoxicating them, forcing them to watch pornographic videos and then physically and sexually assaulting them.
His alleged victims were children assaulted in 2011 in a string of attacks in Jiddah.
The case has caused a stir on social media — which is unusual in Saudi Arabia for cases of violent crimes — in part because al-Zahrani claimed his innocence throughout the trial and two later appeals.
Last year, al-Zahrani appealed in a 20-minute video for Saudi King Abdullah, who died on Friday, to intervene. In the widely-viewed video, the 45-year-old Arabic teacher claimed he was framed by police and that a man — a neighbor of 10 years — who accused him of molesting his daughter was also a police investigator in the case.
3 more heads roll, while Obama is still there:
Via Daily Mail:
Saudi Arabia has carried out the second, third and fourth beheadings under the reign of King Salman just days after he assumed the throne.
Today’s executions of the men, two of whom were accused of drug smuggling, show the oil-rich Arab state is unlikely to back down over the enforcement of its strict version of Sharia law.
One of the men, convicted heroin trafficker Latif Khan Nurzada from Pakistan, was executed in the holy city Mecca – within hours of the new king meeting U.S. President Barack Obama.