If this was during the Bush administration, the AP would be ripping him for golfing hours prior to the Navy SEALs going in.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Golf shoes in the Oval Office could have been a clue.

President Barack Obama usually goes to the residence quarters of the White House after putting in a few weekend hours on the links. But he made an unusual beeline for his West Wing office last Sunday that raised eyebrows only in retrospect.

He was headed for a top-secret meeting to review final preparations for a military operation he’d approved two days earlier, the one involving a raid by Navy SEALs that would end with the death of Osama bin Laden, one of the world’s most hunted men.

But only a few insiders knew the real deal.

In a remarkable 72 hours of his presidency, Obama carried around a momentous secret and gave no hint of it as he went about his duties consoling tornado victims, delivering a college commencement address and cracking jokes at a black-tie dinner.

After signing off on the operation Friday morning, Obama left the White House with his wife, Michelle, and daughters, Malia and Sasha, for a busy day of travel, with three stops in two Southern states.

In Alabama, one of several states hammered by fierce tornados, Obama assumed his role as consoler in chief as he and the first lady got up close and walked the streets of rubble-strewn Tuscaloosa communities that had been flattened by the twisters.

His next stop was Cape Canaveral, Fla., and the launch of space shuttle Endeavour. But the lift-off was scrubbed before the Obamas even left Alabama. He kept to his schedule anyway, touring NASA facilities and getting a view of space shuttle Atlantis with his family.

Obama also met privately at the Kennedy Space Center with wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz. Recovering from a bullet to the head, Giffords flew from a Houston rehabilitation facility to Florida for the launch because her husband, Mark Kelly, is the shuttle commander.

Obama later delivered an evening commencement address at Miami Dade College before returning to Washington.

He kept his poker face throughout the weekend.

Keep reading…