Another bloodbath to ensue.

Cairo (CNN) — As Egypt faces the gruesome aftermath of clashes that left hundreds dead, demonstrators plan to defy an emergency order and take to the streets to mark “Friday of anger.”

The Muslim Brotherhood promised huge protests, and Egypt’s military government showed no sign of easing its crackdown, setting the stage for what could become another catastrophic encounter of security forces and protesters.

“The struggle to overthrow this illegitimate regime is an obligation,” the Muslim Brotherhood said on its website Friday, while urging people to protest peacefully.

Military vehicles were deployed Friday across Cairo and Giza, taking up positions in squares and securing important institutions, the state-run EGYNews reported. The agency said armored vehicles and barbed wire blocked all entrances to Tahrir Square, and 22 armored vehicles were in Mustafa Mahmoud Square.

Update: As expected.

CAIRO (AP) — Clashes across Egypt have killed at least 17 people as supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi took to the streets.

Gunfire rang out over a main Cairo overpass and police fired tear gas as clashes broke out after tens of thousands of Muslim Brotherhood supporters took to the streets Friday across Egypt in defiance of a military-imposed state of emergency following the country’s bloodshed earlier this week.

Fighting first erupted near the Foreign Ministry in the Egyptian capital, according to an Associated Press reporter who saw protesters and people below an overpass throw rocks and bottles at each other. Gunshots rang out during the march. It was not immediately clear who was clashing with whom.

In the northern city of Tanta and Egypt’s second largest city of Alexandria, clashes also broke out between police and Brotherhood supporters. State TV reported that a policeman was shot dead and two others were wounded by gunmen on a checkpoint just outside the capital in an area called New Cairo.

0 Shares