Willing to bet that we will find being an American made him a target.
A US citizen was killed in the Egyptian port city of Alexandria on Friday during clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi, bringing the city’s total death toll on Friday to two.
The American man died from a stab wound to the chest, according to Amin Ezz El-Din, head of Alexandria’s security directorate.
Ezz El-Din said the young American had been taking pictures with his mobile phone near one of the offices of the Muslim Brotherhood, the group from which President Morsi hails, when he was attacked by unknown assailants.
The victim was rushed to a military hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Security sources told Ahram Online’s correspondent that the victim’s name is Victor Andrew. He was a 28-year-old photojournalist.
The details have not yet been officially confirmed.
The report of his death was confirmed by Ibrahim El-Roubi, head of emergencies at Alexandria’s health department, along with two other security officials.
In May, American academic Chris Stone was stabbed in the neck outside the US embassy in Cairo. Stone, however, survived the attack.
Stone’s attacker, Mahmoud Badr, 30, a commerce graduate, told interrogators that he had travelled to Cairo by train from Upper Egypt’s Kafr El-Sheikh with the specific intention of killing a US national, Al-Ahram’s Arabic-language news website reported.
An Egyptian protester was also killed Friday in Alexandria in clashes between supporters and opponents of President Morsi. “All kinds of weapons, including live fire” were used in the melee, said Ezz El-Din.
U.S. Embassy has not confirmed the death or identity as yet:
We are seeking to confirm report of American death in alexandria. thank you for concern
— US Embassy Cairo (@USEmbassyCairo) June 28, 2013
This tweet is from McClatchy New’s Nancy Youssef who called the Deputy Chief Of Mission Marc Sievers for information, but she was rebuffed, despite apologizing for the lateness of the hour.
"You are a really inapproproate to be calling me about this at 10 p.m." U.S. No 2 in #Egypt Mark Sievers, about possible dead citizen.
— Nancy Youssef, نانسى (@nancyayoussef) June 28, 2013
Well, carrying on in the grand Obama tradition. Americans under fire in Benghazi, Ambassador in danger, Obama goes to sleep. Why should Marc Sievers be bothered? It’s after 10! Are you not civilized, Ms. Youssef, how can you bother him?
“We can confirm that a U.S. citizen was killed in Alexandria, Egypt,” Patrick Ventrell, State Department Press Office Director, told Fox. “We are providing appropriate consular assistance from our embassy in Cairo and our Bureau of Consular Affairs at the State Department. We do not have further information to provide at this time.”
The administration also warned against travel to Egypt and also said it would allow some nonessential staff and the families of personnel at the U.S. embassy in Cairo to leave Egypt until conditions improve.
Couldn’t see this coming when sending F16s and billions of dollars to the Morsi regime…
American stabbed is properly identified, and officials fear Egypt may be spiraling to civil war.
Via Sky News:
He has been identified as Andrew Pochter, 21, from Maryland, who was a student at Kenyon College in Ohio.
He had been working as an intern at Amideast, an American non-profit organisation, a statement from the college said.
Mr Pochter died from a stab wound to the chest after violence erupted between supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi.
General Amin Ezzeddin, a senior Alexandria security official, said the American was using a mobile phone camera near an office of Mr Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood in the city’s Sidi Gaber neighbourhood when it was being attacked by protesters.
He was rushed to a military hospital, where he died.
A second victim was shot dead during clashes in the city, while a third person died as protests also turned violent in Port Said.
The deaths come as leading clerics warned of “civil war” in Egypt after violence in the last week has left several dead and hundreds wounded.
They backed Mr Morsi’s offer to talk to opposition groups ahead of mass protests scheduled for Sunday.