Does anyone recall electing Michelle Obama to office?
First lady Michelle Obama on Wednesday unveiled tougher nutrition standards that school meals will have to meet starting this year.
The new standards were required by the 2010 school nutrition bill that increased funding for school meals. The new regulations, according to the Department of Agriculture, will:
• Ensure that students are offered both fruits and vegetables every day of the week;
• Substantially increase offerings of whole grain-rich foods;
• Offer only fat-free or low-fat milk varieties;
• Limit calories based on the age of children being served to ensure proper portion size; and
• Increase the focus on reducing the amounts of saturated fat, trans fats and sodium.
The first lady announced the new rules alongside Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and celebrity chef Rachael Ray at an elementary school in Alexandria, Va.