Some nice secondary explosions.
It’s a secret.
HT: Free Beacon
Another black mark for the Veterans Administration.
Via Fox News:
An Illinois Veterans Affairs hospital already under fire for excessive wait times, festering black mold and kitchen cockroaches faces a new shame – the bodies of dead patients left unclaimed in the morgue for up to two months without proper burial, whistleblower documents allege.
The whistleblower, whose identity is not being revealed for fear of retaliation, complained last month to the VA’s inspector general about the Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital’s handling of veterans’ remains in cases where families have not come forward to claim the body. The complaint singled out Christopher Wirtjes, chief of Patient Administrative Services, saying “The Chief of PAS has the funds available, yet has no sense of urgency to lay the veteran to rest.”
Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Ill., whose office also received the complaint along with emails, is now calling for Wirtjes’ firing and in a statement, slammed the hospital – located in the Western suburbs of Chicago — over its recent history of controversies.
“Hines VA — the hospital that has been overrun with cockroaches and mold and left vets waiting for care for months on secret wait lists, has reached a new low in the treatment of our veterans,” Kirk told FoxNews.com. “We now have reports of bodies being left to decompose in the morgue for months on end.”
The whistleblower, who has spoken with Kirk’s office, described a “horrible issue” at the hospital in the letter to the IG: “Some veteran’s remains have been left in our hospital morgue for 45 days or more until they are stacked to capacity at times.”
On at least one occasion, a body had liquefied and the bag burst when staff had attempted to move it, said Alissa McCurley, Kirk’s deputy chief of staff.
Kirk talked to VA Secretary Bob McDonald last week in Washington and demanded the firing of Wirtjes, whom the Office of Special Counsel determined had orchestrated a secret wait list that was exposed by another whistleblower in 2014. McDonald was noncommittal, Kirk said.
Internal VA emails chronicle how a frustrated Hines clerk attempted to obtain permission from Wirtjes for burial of unclaimed veterans on three occasions.
The first email chain began on Dec. 7, 2015.
“[There is] an invoice for an unclaimed veteran that has been here for over 30 days. Please approve for burial at Abraham Lincoln,” the clerk wrote to Wirtjes and several others.
Three days later, the clerk wrote again: “Approval of unclaimed Vet D?? Status?”
On Dec. 23, the clerk wrote to human resources: “Any further on my poor unclaimed? I WILL file a police report, but I hate doing that…”
Emails from June 14, 2016 and Aug. 29, 2016 state that two different veterans languished in the morgue for a month or more.
Mosul residents who have lived under ISIS-rule for 2 1/1 years beg to differ.
You know you want one.
Prayer causes vapors among the special snowflakes.
When two private Christian schools convened to compete for the state championship, Florida officials denied their request to pray.
One of the schools — Cambridge Christian — is now suing the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA), claiming the decision to deny students the ability to pray violates both the state and federal constitutions, as well as the Florida Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
Prior to the game, students at each school, Cambridge Christian and University Christian, agreed to a joint religious observance before the game began. The size of the venue required the use of the stadium PA system. The FHSAA denied their request, telling the schools that state assets could not be used for religious speech. (RELATED: Christian Coach Suing School That Demanded He Stop Praying)
“First is the fact that the facility is a public facility, predominantly paid for with public tax dollars, makes the facility ‘off limits’ under federal guidelines and precedent court cases,” FHSAA director Roger Dearing wrote. “Second, is the fact that in Florida Statutes, the FHSAA (host and coordinator of the event) is legally a ‘State Actor’, we cannot legally permit or grant permission for such an activity.”
Though the U.S. Supreme Court bans school officials from organizing prayer at such events, students may lead and coordinate such a religious observance. Members of both teams said a prayer before the game began, but onlookers in the crowd did not participate due to the logistical challenges.
“By rejecting Cambridge Christian’s request for pre-game prayer over the loudspeaker on the basis of its religious character and viewpoint, the FHSAA unlawfully prohibited Cambridge Christian’s private religious speech and unreasonably burdened its right to freedom of speech and free exercise of religion,” the suit reads.
Missouri High School Students Won’t Be Sanctioned For ‘Light-Hearted’ Video About Slaves After One Parent Complained…
Suck it up, buttercups.
Via Fox News:
Some senior students at a northwest Missouri high school who made a video depicting the lives of slaves using jokes and slapstick antics will not be disciplined because they had no racist intentions, the superintendent of their school district said.
The students in a Missouri history class at Mid-Buchanan High School in the community of Faucett were asked to make a video explaining the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which required that all escaped slaves be returned to their owners if they were captured. The video included snippets from the “Mission Impossible” television theme, a tune about picking cotton with exaggerated Southern language, giggling and Three Stooges antics, The St. Joseph News-Press reported (http://bit.ly/2de2YxE ) this week.
The video, which was created by white students, also showed one student whipping a runaway “slave.” It was released in mid-September and posted to YouTube, where a parent saw it and complained to the newspaper. The video was taken off YouTube when the paper notified the school, which did not receive any other complaints about the project.
“I don’t think there was any racist or discriminatory intent in the video,” Superintendent John James told The Associated Press Thursday. “They were having fun with the video, hamming it up and not paying enough attention to how others would interpret it.”
School officials will use the incident to help the students become more sensitive to how what they say and do can be interpreted by different audiences, James said.
Overnight Open Thread: American Spectator Heckling Team EU Over Failure To Sink Putt At Ryder Cup Is Invited To Try It Himself…
America found a new hero on Thursday in Ryder Cup spectator David Johnson. The North Dakota man successfully called the bluffs of Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose, who during a practice session invited the heckling Johnson to make a difficult putt that their Team Europe teammate Rory McIlroy had just missed minutes before. Can you guess what happened?
Fan chirping Team Europe at Ryder Cup practice, is asked to put money where his big mouth is, for $100. Amazing. pic.twitter.com/mzlDzu2ASR
— Faizal Khamisa (@SNFaizalKhamisa) September 29, 2016
Dressed in a bright red pullover, faded blue jeans and a pair of golf-questionable loafers, Johnson easily sunk the shot to earn the $100 bill that Rose had slapped down on the green just before the American lined up.
“This is one of the great putts in Ryder Cup history,” a Golf Channel broadcaster said, just before the crowd at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minn., erupted into a roar possibly louder than the one Stenson earned when he won the British Open this year, or by Rose when he won a gold medal at the Rio Olympics. The two Europeans certainly didn’t earn the rousing “USA!” chants that Johnson did on Thursday.
Things are getting messy in Baltimore between Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby pic.twitter.com/flFUxI13M7
— Bossip (@Bossip) September 29, 2016
They were both wrong, both playing to their political agendas and to Black Lives Matter. Mosby started it, trying to save her face and potential political career by blaming everything on Rawlings-Blake.
Via Baltimore Sun:
Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake accused State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby on Wednesday of rushing to charge the six police officers accused in the death of Freddie Gray before completing a thorough investigation.
Rawlings-Blake said Mosby could have told the public she needed more time in the spring of 2015 to conduct a careful and complete investigation, rather than immediately announcing charges that produced no convictions.
Obama Operatives Strip Judicial Watch Of Their ‘Media’ Status To Make It Harder On Their Investigations
The regime continues its sleazy tactics. Thank God for Judicial Watch and the yeoman’s work they do to expose them.
Political operatives within the Obama administration wrongly punished conservative legal group Judicial Watch, stripping it of “media” status and trying to force it to pay higher fees for its open-records requests, the General Services Administration inspector general said in a letter released Thursday.
The GSA botched several high-profile open-records requests, delaying them for months while political appointees got involved, Inspector General Carol F. Ochoa said. The findings come at a time when the administration is facing charges that it is slow-walking open-records requests for Hillary Clinton’s emails, as well as other requests.
This lie is the crux of the vacuum left in Iraq that led to chaos and the rise of ISIS.
During the first debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state said George W. Bush had set the date for withdrawal from Iraq (2011) and that the Iraqi government would not grant immunity from arrest and prosecution to U.S. forces in Iraq after that date.
On the first issue, she is correct although Bush did that largely to give his successor a blank slate with which to work. From his first foreign policy speeches as a candidate for president in 2007, then-Senator Obama made a complete withdrawal from Iraq as a central pillar of his campaign.
However, what about the lack of immunity? On this, Clinton is disingenuous. As the United States was negotiating a status of forces agreement in 2010, U.S. officials did insist on immunity, and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki agreed to it.
But no one seems to care.
The same guys who eviscerated investigation into questionable Muslim groups.
Via Daily Caller:
Less than two weeks after the terrorist bombings in New Jersey and New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration is launching a new campaign against the “negative rhetoric targeting Muslim communities” that the city says gets worse after “terrorist incidents.”
A press release from the city on Monday explained the reasoning for the new anti-anti-Islam efforts: “Across the country, hateful speech has made Muslim residents the target of misguided attacks and threats, especially in the aftermath of terrorist incidents,” states a press release from the city.
Pronoun committee. At a university. That worked on this ‘process’ for a year…
Washington (AFP) – The US government is set to cut the final thread of its oversight of the internet, yielding a largely symbolic but nevertheless significant role over the online address system.
Barring any last-minute glitches, the transition will occur at midnight Friday (0400 GMT Saturday), when the US contract expires for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which manages the internet’s so-called “root zone.”
When the agreement with the US Commerce Department runs out, ICANN will become a self-regulating non-profit international entity managing the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, the system for online “domains” such as .com.
US and ICANN officials say the change is part of a longstanding plan to “privatize” those functions, but some critics complain about a “giveaway” that could threaten the internet’s integrity.
Gee, just in time to vote for Hillary…
Via Daily Mail:
Convicted felons serving jail sentences in California county jails will now get to participate in an activity besides three meals a day and recreation time: votingin elections.
Governor Jerry Brown signed new legislation into effect as part of a reform backers say will help prisoners transition back into society while still serving time for their crimes.
The bill he signed would let thousands of felons doing time in county jails to vote in California elections, the LA Times reported.
The new law also reinstates eligibility to vote for those ex-prisoners on probation or being kept under community supervision starting next year.
The new law takes effect January 1, so will have no impact on this November’s elections.
As always, voting Democrat…
RICHMOND, Va. — The FBI and local police are investigating how at least 19 dead Virginians were recently re-registered to vote in this critical swing state.
One case came to light after relatives of a deceased man received a note congratulating him for registering, Rockingham County Commonwealth’s Attorney Marsha Garst said Thursday.
“His family members were very distraught,” said Garst, who confirmed the existence of the FBI and police investigation but said she could provide few details because the case is ongoing.
All 19 were initially registered as voters in the Shenandoah Valley city of Harrisonburg, Virginia, which is roughly 130 miles from Washington, D.C., although a clerk double-checking the entries later raised questions about one. She recognized the name of Richard Allen Claybrook Sr., who died in 2014 at age 87, because his son is a well-known local judge. She happened to recall that the judge’s father had died.
Tommy Gallagher, 48, is the engineer. No problems in his background, had even been an accident investigator.
The engineer aboard the NJ Transit train that plowed through walls at the century-old Hoboken Terminal Thursday morning has no infractions, medical episodes or criminal history, sources familiar with situation told NBC 4 New York.
Three sources said that according to a preliminary review, engineer Tommy Gallagher had no “red flags” in his history prior to the crash that killed one woman and injured 108 others.
Preliminary reports suggest the crash was either accidental or caused by operator error, law enforcement officials said. They stressed that it is early in the investigation.