Slow news day I guess?
Slow news day I guess?
What a novel idea, Chicago should give it a try.
Via Bearing Arms:
The Australian government has begrudging and indirectly admitted the failure of their strict gun control laws, which included a gun buyback scheme that has been ignored by hundreds of thousands of citizens.
In a desperate attempt to get guns out of the hands of citizens who refuse to give them up, the Justice Minister has lamely offered an amnesty that amounts to whining, “won’t you please hand over your liberty?”
Australia on Friday announced a gun amnesty for next year after a criminal intelligence report estimated there were 260,000 illegal firearms in the country.
Australia introduced tight curbs on gun ownership after the massacre of 35 people by a lone gunman in and around a cafe at a former prison colony in Tasmania in 1996.
The country has had no mass shootings since and has been held up by many abroad as an example of the need for tight controls.
The amnesty comes amid a debate over gun laws that has opened up a rift in the ruling Liberal Party, pitting Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull against the man he overthrew ahead of a key party gathering this weekend.
“The amnesty will provide an opportunity for those individuals who, for whatever reason are in possession of an unregistered firearm, to hand it in without fear of being prosecuted,” Justice Minister Michael Keenan told reporters in Melbourne.
“While Australia has some of the strongest firearm controls in the world, illicit firearms remain the weapon of choice for criminals.”[…]
All the law has done in Australia is to turn otherwise law-abiding but non-compliant citizens into criminals in the eyes of the law, while having very little effect on crime at all.
In fact, according to the Australian government’s own statistics, a number of serious crimes peaked in the years after the ban. Manslaughter, sexual assault, kidnapping, armed robbery, and unarmed robbery all saw peaks in the years following the ban, and most remain near or above pre-ban rates. The effects of the 1996 ban on violent crime are, frankly, unimpressive at best.
Via Climate Depot:
The United Nations has rejected the media credentials of three journalists from a conservative news outlet in Canada to the upcoming UN climate summit in Morocco in November. Nick Nuttall, a UN official, admitted in an October 18 CBC interview that
The Rebel news outlet is being banned from attending the UN summit because of its skeptical reporting of the UN’s climate claims.
Nuttall tried to justify the UN media ban by noting that The Rebel TV host Ezra Levant has called UN promoted climate change fears a “crock.”
“What does [calling climate change a ‘crock’] add to the public’s understating?” Nuttall asked the CBC.
The UN’s Nuttall told the CBC, “I don’t see what he is actually reporting, you know, as being particularly helpful.”
But much to the shock of the UN official, the warmist Canadian Broadcasting Corp’s (CBC) Carol Off was having none of it. The CBC’s Off openly challenged the UN’s censorship of the media outlet.
“Do people have to prove that they’re helpful in order to be accredited journalists?” Off, who hosts the ‘As it Happens’ program on the CBC, asked the UN’s Nuttall.
A clearly flustered Nuttall responded, “Well, what do you think journalism is about?”
Via Military Com:
The Defense Department has released the name of a decorated sailor killed in an improvised explosive device blast in northern Iraq.
Chief Petty Officer Jason C. Finan, 34, of Anaheim, California, died Thursday of wounds sustained in the blast, officials said. Finan was assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Three out of Naval Amphibious Base Coronado.
Finan joined the Navy in 2003. He had been awarded Master Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Naval Parachutist and Diver insignia and had received many decorations, including the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat V device and the Joint Meritorious Unit Award, according to Lt. Cmdr. Jennifer Cragg, a spokeswoman for Navy Expeditionary Combat Command.
According to a Navy announcement, Finan was serving in an advisory capacity to Iraqi forces fighting against Islamic State militants in Iraq at the time of his death.
He is the first service member to die in support of the Mosul offensive, assisting Iraqi Security Assistance Force efforts to take back the northern population hub from Islamic State control.
Some Facebook employees fought to remove posts from Donald Trump in which the Republican presidential candidate called for a ban on Muslims entering the United States, arguing that the comments violated the website’s rules on hate speech, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg eventually ruled on the issue and directed employees to not delete any of Trump’s posts. Zuckerberg said it would be inappropriate to censor a presidential candidate, according to the WSJ.
After Zuckerberg’s decision, some employees tasked with reviewing content on Facebook threatened to quit, and more still continued to complain that the company was bending its rules on hate speech for Trump.
According to the report, more than a dozen Muslim employees discussed the policy with their managers and one Muslim employee asked Zuckerberg himself at a town hall meeting how he could approve of Trump’s message. The WSJ reports that Zuckerberg admitted Trump’s comments did amount to hate speech, but he said the consequences of deleting the posts were too drastic.
All out to protect Hillary.
Via Fox News:
Roughly 1,000 emails between Hillary Clinton and Gen. David Petraeus were thought to be missing from the 30,000 emails provided by Clinton’s team to the State Department in December 2014, according to the newly released FBI investigative files.
Additional documents obtained through a federal lawsuit by Judicial Watch show Clinton had directed Petraeus to send her emails at her personal address, which was used for all government work during her tenure as secretary of state.
In a heavily redacted FBI interview summary from Aug. 17, 2015, a State Department employee from the Office of Information and Programs and Services (IPS), which handles Freedom of Information Act requests, discussed how Petraeus’ records apparently were not among the work-related emails provided by the former secretary’s team.
“CENTCOM records shows approximately 1,000 work-related emails between Clinton’s personal email and General David PETRAEUS, former Commander of CENTCOM and former Director of the CIA,” said the employee, whose name is redacted, according to the summary. “Most of those 1,000 emails were not believed to be included in the 30,000 emails that IPS was reviewing. Out of the 30,000 emails, IPS only had a few emails from or related to PETRAEUS as well as a few related to Leon PANETTA, former Secretary of Defense.”
Via NY Post:
Hillary Clinton’s campaign coordinated with liberal bloggers to attack Bernie Sanders during the Democratic presidential primary campaign, according to newly released WikiLeaks emails.
In a January 20, 2016 email to top Clinton aides, campaign staffer Lauren Peterson talked about gaining traction against primary opponent Bernie Sanders, claiming the “Bernie hits … seems to really be resonating and picking up traction online.”
“[W]e are trying to do a few bigger campaign things (such as amplifying any remarks the candidate makes) and possibly sending an email, while also working with HRC, Planned Parenthood, and people who can help push this behind the scenes without our fingerprints,” Peterson wrote in an email released in the stolen trove of campaign chair John Podesta’s emails.
Journalism is in its death rattle.
Via Yahoo News:
The Daily News published a blistering, 14-chapter editorial that railed against Donald Trump and everything that he stands for.
Its front page on Friday morning: “NEWS TO AMERICA: BURY TRUMP IN A LANDSLIDE. Restore U.S. honor with giant defeat of the fearmongering demagogue.”
The New York tabloid has long established itself as one of Trump’s foes. When the Manhattan businessman launched his presidential campaign in the summer of 2015, the Daily News depicted the Republican as a clown. In turn, Trump has repeatedly tweeted that the newspaper is “failing” and “worthless.”
But Friday’s editorial, which clocks in at more than 7,900 words, might be the most scathing attack on Trump from any newspaper in the country.
And because Trump refused to say at Wednesday’s presidential debate that he would accept the election results, the Daily News urged the public to deliver an unequivocal message on Election Day.
“Trump’s reckless willingness to damage trust in the electoral process — in order to save face and hold leadership of the paranoid wing of U.S. politics — is the most pressing reason why voters must defeat him in a landslide,” the paper wrote. “Herewith, we fervently pray, is the political obituary of Donald Trump and all that he stands for,” it added.
Hillary Clinton’s campaign headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, were evacuated Friday night after a pair of interns discovered a suspicious substance inside a letter, police have confirmed.
The substance has not yet been determined, but it has been deemed not hazardous, since there have been no reports of illness nor any complaints from anyone exposed, the NYPD confirmed to WABC-TV.
Four people were exposed to the substance, which was contained in a standard No. 10 envelope, the NYPD said.
The NYPD confirmed to ABC News that two interns discovered the suspicious substance in an envelope at 5:30 p.m. in Clinton’s Manhattan office. The interns then brought the letter to the 11th floor of the campaign’s 80,000-square-foot Brooklyn headquarters, located in the borough’s Brooklyn Heights neighborhood.
Others in Hollywood are fighting global warming and hosting fundraisers for Hillary.
The Gary Sinise Foundation announced Thursday it will build a specialty house for Officer Mike Flamion, who is paralyzed after being wounded in the line of duty.
The foundation usually builds such homes for veterans, often for those with special needs. A board member of the foundation told News 4 it decided to expand its mission to include first responders after Flamion was shot in the line of duty.
“I can tell you if you know anything about being paralyzed from the neck down, his future needs will be millions of dollars in care, 24-hours a day. There is not enough money we can collect,” said Jim Shubert with the Gar Sinise Foundation.
The new house, known as a Smart Home, will be outfitted to fit Flamion’s needs.
“It will have complete lighting control, HVAC control. We will try to operate the entire home from a mobile device,” said Scott Schaepperkoetter with the Gary Sinise Foundation.
The Gary Sinise Foundation previously remodeled the home of veteran Chris Sanna to make it wheelchair accessible. Sanna was paralyzed when he was shot walking back to his car after a Cardinals game in September, 2015.
For more on the Gary Sinise Foundation, click here (https://www.garysinisefoundation.org/).
Fine young man.
Via NY Post:
A Florida teenager with spina bifida was caught on camera shaming athletes who sit for the national anthem — using his arms to proudly “stand” from his wheelchair as the American flag passed by him during a parade.
Arek Trenholm, 16, has become a social media sensation after his uncle Myron Leggett, a professional photographer, snapped a picture of the patriotic act and posted it to his Facebook page on Oct. 14.
The image shows the teen pushing himself up on his own at a local high school’s homecoming parade as the junior ROTC color guard approaches with the Stars and Stripes.
“To all of ‘Those’ that refuse to stand for the Flag of the United States of America…this is my nephew Arek Trenholm, he has “spina bifida” he used his arms to ‘STAND’ from his wheelchair as our Flag passed by!!” Leggett wrote in the description of the photo, which has been shared more than 500 times on Facebook.
“He will never be able to ‘play’ football, if he could, he would ‘Stand’ as the flag passed or when the ‘National Anthem’ is played. Take a lesson!”
NEWTOWN, Pa./CLEVELAND (Reuters) – Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gained on his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton among American voters this week, cutting her lead nearly in half, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling released on Friday.
The polling data showed Trump’s argument that the Nov. 8 election is “rigged” against him has resonated with members of his party.
“Remember folks, it’s a rigged system,” Trump told a Pennsylvania rally on Friday. “That’s why you’ve got to get out and vote, you’ve got to watch. Because this system is totally rigged.”
Clinton led Trump 44 percent to 40 percent, according to the Oct. 14-20 Reuters/Ipsos poll, a 4-point lead. That compared with 44 percent for Clinton and 37 percent for Trump in the Oct. 7-13 poll released last week.
An average of national opinion polls by RealClearPolitics shows Clinton currently 6.2 percentage points ahead at 48.1 percent support to Trump’s 41.9 percent.
Triggering riots, looting and fires.
Two Minneapolis police officers followed proper procedure in a confrontation that led to the fatal shooting of a black man in November, and won’t face discipline, the city’s police chief announced Friday.
Chief Janee Harteau said an internal investigation found the officers were warranted in using deadly force in the death of Jamar Clark, 24.
Clark was shot in the head on Nov. 15 in a confrontation with Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze on the city’s north side. His death set off protests that lasted several weeks, including an 18-day encampment around the area’s police precinct.
A local prosecutor and the U.S. attorney both declined earlier to charge the officers — both white — in Clark’s death, citing conflicting testimony from witnesses.
“These officers did not dictate the outcome of this incident,” Harteau said. “I can say with absolute certainty that I support the actions of Officers Ringgenberg and Schwarze the night of Nov. 15.”
Some witnesses told police that Clark was handcuffed at the time.
But an investigation by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension found that the officers had tried and failed to handcuff Clark, and he was shot in the ensuing confrontation after one of the officers shouted that Clark had his hand on the officer’s gun.
Investigators said Ringgenberg wrestled Clark to the ground but wound up on his back atop Clark and felt Clark’s hand on his weapon. Schwarze then shot Clark in an encounter that lasted barely a minute.
A separate U.S. Department of Justice inquiry is underway into the city’s response to the protests. Demonstrations were largely peaceful, but one on Nov. 18 included skirmishes between officers and protesters that sparked at least one federal lawsuit.
This must be more of that love that Hillary talks about spreading.
By the way, since Joe feels he can declaim on Trump, here’s some of Joe’s greatest hits of groping:
HT: Jamie Dupree
Click on for video:
Curses Wikipedia! You damn Prussians!
Wikileaks seems to be suggesting its supporters are behind it or it would like to believe they are.
Rules for thee, but not for me.
In 2010, at the same time then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was using an unsecured private email server, she also filmed a video lecturing State Department subordinates on the importance of cybersecurity.
“I think this is a responsibility we all share as Americans, but as State Department employees we have a special duty to guard ourselves and our sensitive information,” Clinton said in the video uncovered for the first time Friday by CBS News. “Potential hackers use all kinds of strategies to exploit cyber vulnerabilities and to penetrate the department’s systems.”
CBS notes that the video is “ironic” not just because of the private email server angle, but because the Clinton campaign was just recently the victim of a massive hack. Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta reportedly fell for a fairly simple hacker’s trick, clicking on a “phishing” email made to look like it came from Google and filling in his personal information.